[sf-lug] Linux rapper at Stanford

Thomas DiZoglio tomdiz at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 14:25:03 PST 2010

Listing & Setting ACLs

The commands for listing and setting AFS ACLs are relatively straightforward, and can be used at the terminal prompt of any CAEN Linux machine, or the DOS prompt on CAEN Windows computers. To view the ACL on a directory, use the fs listacl command (which can be shortened to fs la). For example, to view the ACL of a directory named mydir, type fs la mydir.

To change an ACL, use the fs setacl (or fs sa) command. The basic format for an fs sa command is fs sa file identity privileges. For example, to give read privileges to user joeuser for a directory named abc, you would type fs sa abc joeuser r. To remove an entry from an ACL, use the keyword none as the privilege specification. For example, type fs sa abc joeuser none.

Multiple entries may be given in an fs sa command.

    fs sa abc joeuser rl jilluser rlidwk amber:eecs498 all

Multiple directories may be specified if the directory names and the ACL entries are clearly separated using the -dir and -acl switches.

    fs sa -dir dir1 dir2 dir3 dir3/subdir -acl amber:friends rlidwk

To add or remove negative entries, use the -negative switch before the entries.

    fs sa abc -negative amber:enemies idwk