[sf-lug] passwords - trying to pick good ones, difficulties, and users, and vendors/websites

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Jan 23 22:26:07 PST 2010

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Michael Paoli wrote:

> And we wonder why users often pick weak passwords - even if they might
> be somewhat inclined to pick/use better - potentially much better ones.

On the topic:

Some humor: http://bash.org/?244321

Some news that's not as funny:
http://lifehacker.com/5453721/no-time-like-the-present-to-choose-strong-passwords

RockYou.com had all 32 million passwords exposed.

Me, I use "pwgen" to generate random passwords for each service. I then
store them in plaintext in a text file on my laptop, though that's just
because I had some data merging problems with using my password manager
(Revelation) a few months ago when I edited the data on two computers and
didn't sync them up quickly enough.

-- Asheesh.

--
My mind is a potato field ...