[sf-lug] [Fwd: [FSF] An appeal from Benjamin Mako Hill, technologist and author.]

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 12:13:32 PST 2010

I joined several years ago and was successful (member #5030).

Not to detract from the work that the Free Software Foundation does, but I
think there are many other -- arguably more deserving -- projects that could
use your funds, meager as they may be if they're anything like mine. :-)

For example, one of my favorites is the Oregon State University Open Source
Lab -- from which everyone here has probably downloaded FOSS software at one
time or another -- which has a fundraising effort going right now at
http://osuosl.org/give6

Not only this, there are local projects that could use help as well.
Hackerspaces in the area -- like the Bitsmasher in Santa Cruz (my local
hackerspace) or the one in the South Bay with a name that escapes me at the
moment.

So this is NOT to say ignore the FSF -- join if you believe in what they do
(I did) -- but bear in mind that there are many other projects out there
that are worthy of your dime.

Larry Cafiero