[sf-lug] system beep

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Jan 8 14:16:18 PST 2010

Grant Bowman writes:
> One would think something as simple as a good old beep would be pretty
> standard now, redirected to something nicer sounding.  I don't know

You can do that with an external kernel module called Fancy Beeper:
http://www.carcosa.net/jason/software/beep/

It's too bad it's not part of the kernel, but it's very easy to
build and use. It creates a device you can read to see when the
system should beep; then you run a daemon to make whatever sound you
want. I blogged about getting the module working:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/custom-beep.html
and more recently, I thought it would be fun to have a different
beep sound every day, randomly chosen when I boot in the morning,
so I did that for a while:
http://shallowsky.com/blog/linux/randombeeps.html

It was fun to be typing along and then suddenly a cow moos or
an owl hoots, and then I'd realize it was just the day's beep. :-)

	...Akkana