[sf-lug] Sampling the Linux Kernel Mailing List

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 14:23:36 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
> Why not just monitor KernelTrap?

I used to read KernelTrap but there has been nothing new on it for
over a year. I have seen many attempts by humans to monitor and
summarize LKML traffic and all have eventually stopped, because people
always get tired of doing it. The most up-to-date project I know of is
Jon Masters' LKML Summary Podcast

http://podcasts.jonmasters.org/kernel/kernel.xml

This is excellent and I also subscribe to it. It's a bit
apples-and-oranges to what I'm doing though. First, I prefer to read
the original text by Linus Torvalds or Alan Cox, not just a summary of
it, in order to appreciate the tone and personality. Second, I want a
system which is based on collective intelligence / crowd-sourcing,
rather than a single human editor. Third, I like the predictability of
receiving exactly one message per day.

I would be interested to hear about other resources people use to keep
up with kernel news. Certainly LWN.net is worth a look.