[sf-lug] single point of contact? good/bad idea? (e.g. DNS)

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 17 02:16:11 PST 2009

> Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:32:31 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] SF-LUG (& BALUG) DNS, etc.
> To: sf-lug at linuxmafia.com

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>> Yes, a single person as point of contact is generally bad.
> Name one where it's a _good_ idea, please.

Well, might take a highly contrived example where it would definitely
be good (and I'm not going to bother), but not too difficult to come up
with an example where it would be at least (semi-?)reasonably arguable
that it would be good.  E.g., let's say we have John Doe, and John Doe
gets domain john-doe.com.  Let's say John Doe absolutely doesn't want
anyone else to ever be able to do anything with the domain, even if
John Doe is unavailable, incapacitated, or flattened by a beer truck.
John Doe doesn't even want John Doe's heirs touching the domain (or at
least wants that to be difficult).  So, ... John Doe sets up only and
exactly John Doe (and specifically that one John Doe) as the contact
for all references and records to the domain.  Now, John Doe would
probably think that was good.  Others may - or may not - agree.