[sf-lug] SF-LUG DNS

jim jim at well.com
Sat Nov 14 10:47:25 PST 2009

   (continuing on the list in case others are
interested, which i hope they are--i could use
some help.)

   you're right, as usual, rick. this is entirely
my doing and fault, partly due to ignorance.
   we replaced the old machine with a new one. the
old machine was pretty much a classic unix box
(CentOS 4 or 5). the new machine uses debian XEN
to implement two virtual machines, one for balug,
the other for sf-lug (which is now using the
correct ip address).

(...skipping the details of the last two days'
confused actions...)

   i'll have to bring up the old machine and find
the dns files then copy them to the new machine.
   probably a poor idea to have a master dns
server on the box that the dns points to, yes?

   per your subsequent email re a third dns name
server, that's my fault, too: i got distracted in
the middle of the process (of learning what to
type in which files) and dropped the ball. i'll
go pick the ball back up.
   i wish i could find a tutorial that succinctly
and completely explains the rudiments of setting
up dns for and on a linux system: this would
summarize the concepts and then specify the files
to create and/or modify and finally present
several examples to exemplify common use cases.