[sf-lug] Linux Server Preferences

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 5 19:45:59 PST 2009

Quoting Michael Paric (mparic at compbizsolutions.com):

>> So, my understanding is:  There's no automated mechanism for smoothly
>> moving Ubuntu Server from the current stable branch to further ones,
>> right?  I have to:
>>
>> 1.  Find out there's been a new release.
>> 2.  Get its name (karmic, lucid...).
>> 3.  Edit /etc/apt/sources.list
>> 4.  Use apt-get (or aptitude) to do a semi-manual upgrade, and hope
>>    for the best.  (This isn't an X11 system, so "Upgrade Manager",
>>    etc., is not in the picture.)
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> --
>> Rick Moen                    "Names of fictional places are
>> capitalized:
>> rick at linuxmafia.com          Narnia, Oz, San Francisco, etc."
>>                                                     -- FakeAPStylebook

> Thanks all for the great feedback;

"Feedback"?  I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.  Are you
saying that as some sort of representative of the Ubuntu Project?  I'm a
little confused, because I wasn't giving feedback to anyone; I was
trying to ask my friend Jim Stockford a question.

> what I'm not sure about is why Ubuntu sysadmins would be upgrading
> on every release.

Obviously:  In order to not be still running a 2006 system in late 2009.
The Debian framework on which Ubuntu is based is, as mentioned,
extremely capable of supporting a maintenance framework capable of
keeping a system a pre-decided amount of figurative distance (rawness)
away from the cutting edge of software development.  What I was asking
Jim was whether he knew of infrastructure within Ubuntu Server to make
that possible, as there is for Debian servers.

Since I run a bunch of Debian servers and one Ubuntu Server box, it
seemed extremely surprising to me that on the latter, only, upgrading
seemed to remain a manually initiated and overseen process with some
small degree of anxiety potential (i.e., worry about having to drop
everything and work to fix a broken production system).  It occurred to
me that I might be missing something, so I asked Jim, who seemed to have
some experience on the subject.

I'm inferring that you have no answer to my question.  You're instead
trying to tell me that I shouldn't want to do on Ubuntu Server what I
routinely do to great benefit on my Debian boxes.  You'll pardon me if
I'm not falling over myself in appreciation.

> Stability to me is the top priority on a server, especially a
> headless, no gui workhorse running key network services.

I'm sorry, but you're lecturing _me_ on server priorities and
maintenance?  And who were you, again, son?

I should probably not comment further on that, since I'm likely to say
something I'll really regret.

--
Rick Moen             "The correct spelling is 'Mr. T.'  People who type out
rick at linuxmafia.com   'Mister' are fools to be pitied."