[sf-lug] Linux Server Preferences

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:23:47 PST 2009

We are running Ubuntu Hardy headless at one of our SF Bay Area school
projects.  Drew Hess and James Howard are the server architects.  I will let
them know that you are looking for feedback.

>From the viewpoint of a simple end user, it works quite well.  The kids can
get on any machine and login.  The software is pushed out from the server to
31 clients.  There is a really good parental control filter on the server.
If one machine goes down, we just slap another machine on there and use
James Howard's mass-installer and boom there is a new operating system on
the machine in about 15 minutes, and it is so easy to install that even a
simple end user like me can do it.  The whole thing is kinda magical.

Grant Bowman will also be able to tell more technical details about the
machine.