[sf-lug] Convert ogv video to mp4 video?

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 00:49:47 PST 2009

Greetings,

Due in part to upstream licensing with the AAC code [1] my attempts to
convert this video [2] to play on my Google phone [3] have so far
failed. I would like help with two things.

A) what tools (preferably command line) can tell me exactly the type
of audio & video contained inside ogg/ogv and mp4 files?

B) how can I successfully convert this video [2] to play on my phone?

I thought I had converted it successfully during one trial, yet the
resulting file would play just fine on my laptop but had no audio when
playing on my phone.  I've tried converting using VLC (Ubuntu 9.10 and
Windows XP), ffmpeg on Ubuntu, and winff (Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows XP).

Thanks,

Grant Bowman
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ffmpeg/+bug/412063

[2] http://www.redhat.com/stories/redhatway named "The Red Hat Way"
available versions are .flv and .ogg

[3] I think the ideal size is 320x480 MP4 video at 480 kb/s and AAC
stereo audio at 128 bits per second.  I used the ogg as the source.  I
am running Android version 1.6.  No file I have tried so far
successfully plays on my phone even if it "should."