[sf-lug] Broadcom 4322 WiFi finally working!

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 14:34:53 PST 2009

History:
The Broadcom 4322 modem on my HP dv2 laptop was working up to kernel
2.6.9.213 and Fedora 11, but all of a sudden it ground to a halt with
2.6.29.217.    On 2.6.29.213, I was using a driver that I downloaded
from Broadcom's website along with a kernel patch the company
provided.

Litany of failures:
I spent a lot of time messing around with wl.ko and b43-fwcutter under
kernel 2.6.30.?? with nothing to show for it.

Happy ending:
Just today, I had another hack at it and was successful by installing
the broadcom-wl package from rpmfusion-nonfree.    Yes, all I did in
the end was "yum install broadcom-wl" and reboot.

Epilog:
I wouldn't say that the other methods won't work, but you can't beat
this one for simplicity.    Since my system state is less than
pristine at this point, I couldn't swear that some residue of one of
the other methods I tried didn't contribute to the final success.

Now on to pairing bluetooth stereo headphones  with the laptop!

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)