[sf-lug] USB stick help, please...

Eric Walstad eric at ericwalstad.com
Tue Oct 27 21:39:14 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Anyone know how to get linux to recognize a USB stick without having
to unplug and replug after a reboot?

I've been tinkering with Open-WRT[0] running on an Asus WL-500G
Premium 2 router.  I have it running (actually x-wrt[1]), I've
soldered[2] in my Tweet-a-watt[3] receiver, I have my Python installed
on a USB stick and I can make it all work - yay!  Until the power goes
out, that is.  Then the router reboots and the USB stick isn't
recognized until I manually unplug it and plug it back in.  Then I can
run the boot script that mounts the USB stick.

I've read a ton of pages, tried using USB2 (ehci) and then USB1(ohci).
 Everything I've read assumes that the system recognizes the USB stick
on boot.  But mine doesn't.  Oh, when I unplug and plug in the USB
stick, it shows up as:

A search for that will show you some of the pages I've read.

I'm happy to share more details but I'm not sure which ones are relevant yet.

Thanks in advance,

[0] http://openwrt.org/
[1] http://x-wrt.org/
[2] http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12660