[sf-lug] advice on laptop upgrade

Owen Pietrokowsky opietro at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 14:03:31 PDT 2009

Greetings,

I'm
getting a 5-yr-old laptop from a friend. A non-profit tech department
is refurbishing it, and I'm making a wish list of items I'd like.
Please advise me on these items and on specific model/type/size
recommendations. Anything you would add? Thanks. Here is the list:

Processor upgrade (I don't know what the current  micropr. is)
BIOS upgrade (I don't know what the current  version is) -
    necessary?
1G+ RAM
120+ HD
2G+ flash drive
Mid-end Laser or inkjet printer/fax/copier combo
2 speakers (internal?)
internal
 DVD/CD-RW drive
17"+ LCD monitor
external mouse
diagnostic diskette + manuals
internal wifi card or wifi modem (which is preferable?)
internal graphics card (type?)
Ethernet port (standard?)
Windows XP + Microsoft Office Suite
manuals for OS and apps
extra battery(type and hours?)
extra USB ports
laptop bag

Owen
opietro at yahoo.com

Owen Pietrokowsky
Editor, writer
Biotech, high-tech, linux, materials science
opietro at yahoo.com

LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/owenpietrokowsky