[sf-lug] strace logging to intercept guest OS calls

Siddhartha Jain siddhartha at siddharthajain.net
Thu Sep 24 16:40:11 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am running a proprietary OS in an emulator on Linux (2.6.18-164 x64
CentOS 5.3). What I want to do is intercept the system calls that the
proprietary OS makes while generating a password hash. So I attach
strace to the emulator's PID before running the password generation
command but strace logs only show me a few clock_gettime() calls after
the read()/write() calls for inputting the password from keyboard and
echo-ing it on STDOUT. Where do all the calls go that the proprietary
OS uses to calculate the password hash?

Thanks!