[sf-lug] SFD CDs

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Sep 14 09:01:42 PDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> To all those who responded on and off list about Software Freedom Day
> CDs, thank you and here's what we are planning to do for Software
> Freedom Day (Ours will be Sept. 17). Given the disagreements on type
> of software and distros, we figured that we could set up a table with
> a machine that runs something along the lines of the Freedom Toaster.
> http://www.freedomtoaster.org/ We'll have a stack of blank CDs and a
> donation box to offset costs of the discs.
>
> If someone walks up to the table:
>
> 1) Ask them if they want a disc or two...
> 2) Show them how it works. (optional: ask for a donation for the media)
> 3) Ask them to pick a CD-R, place it in the machine, make a choice.
> 4) While the disc burns we have time to talk to them about SFD and
> give them a flyer.
> 5) After the disc burns, lend them a marker to write on the disc, and
> place it in a sleeve.
> 6) Wish them well and send them on their way.
>
> The Freedom Toaster appears to be unmaintained, so it will take some
> digging around. Other alternative is to simply use Brasero or k3b.
> Other suggestions are welcome.
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor, Information Systems
> Director, Center for Business Solutions
> San Francisco State University
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://cbs.sfsu.edu/
> http://is.sfsu.edu/

One more follow-up to my own post. I thought Freedom Toaster was
unmaintained. Evidently, that's not the case. I got a reply from them.
Here it is, FYI.
--
Sameer

Hi,

We have a commercial version of the software that is maintained and
released to clients who use our products.

If you want to try something different, then take a look at what the
guys at Seneca did: http://cdot.senecac.on.ca/projects/toaster/

- Jason