[sf-lug] SFD CDs

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Sep 13 14:35:02 PDT 2009

To all those who responded on and off list about Software Freedom Day
CDs, thank you and here's what we are planning to do for Software
Freedom Day (Ours will be Sept. 17). Given the disagreements on type
of software and distros, we figured that we could set up a table with
a machine that runs something along the lines of the Freedom Toaster.
http://www.freedomtoaster.org/ We'll have a stack of blank CDs and a
donation box to offset costs of the discs.

If someone walks up to the table:

1) Ask them if they want a disc or two...
2) Show them how it works. (optional: ask for a donation for the media)
3) Ask them to pick a CD-R, place it in the machine, make a choice.
4) While the disc burns we have time to talk to them about SFD and
give them a flyer.
5) After the disc burns, lend them a marker to write on the disc, and
place it in a sleeve.
6) Wish them well and send them on their way.

The Freedom Toaster appears to be unmaintained, so it will take some
digging around. Other alternative is to simply use Brasero or k3b.
Other suggestions are welcome.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Information Systems