[sf-lug] Software Freedom Day at Best Buy

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 8 17:41:12 PDT 2009

Quoting Larry Cafiero (larry.cafiero at gmail.com):

> Hmmm. If memory serves me correctly, didn't a certain Mr. Moen and a wide
> variety of conspirators do something along these lines at a Sunnyvale
> Circuit City a couple of decades ago around either the Microsoft EULA or
> giving the buyer a choice of which OS to run on their computer?

You're thinking of the event at the time of the Win98 launch
(midnight, June 24, 1998):  Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale, and
CompUSA's then-location at El Camino Real & Lawrence Expressway, Santa
Clara.

It was styled "The Great Linux Revolt of 1998", and was good fun.  The
Fry's manager freaked out and was a jerk.  CompUSA was cool.  The latter
seemed to partly reflect the good attitude and manners of our folks.
http://www.svlug.org/events.php