[sf-lug] Software Freedom Day at Best Buy

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Sat Sep 5 12:41:46 PDT 2009

Microsoft has started to train Best Buy associates on how to convince
people that Windows 7 is a better choice than GNU/Linux on netbooks. If
Microsoft thinks Best Buy is a worthy battleground, perhaps we should
engage them there for SFD. I'm thinking of going to a local Best Buy for
SFD and passing out flyers and CDs recommending people try GNU/Linux on
laptops before they buy.

gNewSense would be my OS of choice and if CDs are to be handed out,
professional pressing is a must. Has anyone committed to pressing CDs? I
will throw in $100 for an order of gNewSense CDs which will not only
show GNU/Linux but will also make it known that many laptops today come
with hardware that is not supported by a fully free operating system. If
anyone else is interested in doing the same, I'm trying to organize for
the Best Buy in San Bruno, San Carlos, and/or East Palo Alto.

Email me offlist ( david at trygnulinux.com ) if you'd be interested in
going to one or more of the above for a 3 hour shift. I'm thinking it
would be great to have 2 people at whichever location(s) we choose from
10-1 and 1-4.