[sf-lug] mastering CDs in bulk for Software Freedom Day

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 21:18:20 PDT 2009

I wish I had the time to constantly confront and write rebuttals to
almost all responses in mail list threads and effectively overwhelm
all opposition to my "opinions."  Sharing your opinion is one thing,
but when it's done far more vigorously...

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Rick Moen<rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> ... The relevant question is not whether you're creating
> progress, but rather whether considerably _more_ progress cannot be
> brought about by applying the same money and time elsewhere.
> ... the time and money are far more effectively spent elsewhere.

What exactly do you think those things are for the Sameer and I?

I understand that you think this is the most relevant question.  Other
people have different measures of progress and impact.  While money is
fungible, one individual's time is not fungible with another's.  Your
opinions of Software Freedom Day have had some light - how about you
allow others a chance?  Or would you like to assess the skills of
every person willing to be a part of Software Freedom Day world wide
and tell them what is more effective in your view, not only explaining
in great detail what they should not do but what they should do?

> ... I think my meaning should have been abundantly clear.

Clear communication is a challenging aspect of the human condition.

In this case you have said what terms not to use (FOSS/FLOSS, etc) but
have not stated your preference for an alternative.  Open Source is
not to your liking.  What is? "open source software"  And do you agree
with the idea to use "open source" or "open source software" instead
of Free Software to denote specifically the group of software using
licenses that are OSI certified and FSF certified?  What about those
licenses that are FSF certified but not OSI certified?

> ... [1] I'm sorry, but why are you treating "open source" as a proper noun
> in this context?  It isn't one.

Rick, I value your input and thought provoking perspective.  Yet even
when I try to overtly agree with you it is somehow a confrontation.  I
believe http://www.opensource.org/faq uses the same "noun" usage to
denote the specific OSI/OSD implementation of the general idea of free
software and open source software ideas.  The trademark is of the logo
and the OSI words.  You are accurate that there is no universally
agreed to noun.  The attempt to register the service mark was
unsuccessful.  This only goes to show that the constant confusion over
the very name and definition of the "stuff" we are talking about is an
ever present problem EVEN among people that have dealt with these
ideas professionally for years.  This is another aspect of the
difficulty of educating those not already familiar with "open source
software."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_terms_for_free_software

Grant Bowman
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam