[sf-lug] mastering CDs in bulk for Software Freedom Day

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 28 13:59:00 PDT 2009

Quoting david at sterryit.com (david at sterryit.com):

> Let us not forget that this is software freedom day, not OS advocacy
> day.

Well, sure, but it'll also be (for example) International Talk Like a
Pirate Day -- and yet, I don't actualy _have_ to wear an eyepatch and go
around saying "Arrr!" every other sentence, unless I really think that's
worthwhile.

The question is:  Is helping MS-Windows users worth a significant amount
of money and effort for a Linux user group (or at least for members
thereof)?  For some, the answer will be yes.  I don't happen to be
among them, and find the arguments usually advanced by advocates to be
extremely bad.

(By the way, I am specifically _not_ an "OS advocate" of any sort,
an activity I find not only distasteful but also pointless when indulged
by Linux users.  For more, if interested, please see:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/12/26/1040511127721.html )

> Anything that can move a user closer to software freedom is a win.

This particular bad argument does not improve with repetition:  It's
frankly pretty obvious why giving MS-Windows users additional excuses to
remain on that platform doesn't "move the user closer to software
freedom", and never has.