[sf-lug] Edward Janne's Final Questionnaire for Cultural Anthropology

Edward Janne tigakub at mac.com
Tue Aug 4 10:11:14 PDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> "really just
> looking for an explanation for your ...uhm ... style."
>
> That cute very-slightly-concealed gratuitous attempt at an insult
> isn't
> my point, either.

You've misunderstood me, Rick. I really didn't mean it as an insult.
If it came across that way, I apologize. I really have to learn to
phrase myself more carefully in writing.

> I pointed out to Edward that he couldn't study my "...uhm ... style"
> using that particular essay, because it's _co-authored_.  (By way of
> example, I cited one aspect of the piece that's pure Eric and nothing
> I'd ever say.)

In my defense, I did say that I hadn't read all of it because it was
late and I was tired, and that I had passed out on the floor. I
thought you appreciated that humor. At least your reply seemed to
indicate so. You did the little ";->" thing at the end.

> My point is what he replied to that -- while he was busy chewing up my
> time in an uninvited side-conversation:
>
>   "Plausible deniability is wonderful to have."

It was in jest. It's very difficult to know when you're serious or
not. I meant it in good nature.

> Overall, I regret having tried to help the punk.

I have said quite a lot of times that you've helped me tremendously.
In fact, many people on the list have. I appreciate it. I have been
looking through previous mailings at your suggestion, and I have been
STFW for all kinds of things about Linux, and know quite a bit more
about it than I did before because of that.

Also, thank you for pointing out to me that it's rude to go private
without warning. I now realize that several of the other list members
had gone private with me, but had very graciously prefaced their
mails. This is mailing-list etiquette with which I am unfamiliar,
having spent very little time using the medium. Thank you all for your
indulgence for my faux pas.

-edj