[sf-lug] (forw) Re: [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] How did you become a Linux user?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 30 15:39:10 PDT 2009

Quoting chaitanya mehandru (chinku.linux at gmail.com):

> What i know is tht the viruses for linux affectonly the local user.....and
> not keep spreading all over. Well, the text is worth reading. and it also
> mentions that the virus will change permissions,etc,etc. and affect the
> files of a user who executed the binary. More i will read.....and also
> willing to talk about it more with you and other folks.

Uh... if you read the page, you presumably came across text like this:

  Linux systems' architecture and culture, by design, resist such petty
  nuisances, and create sufficient default protections that anyone
  careless enough to be exposed to Linux "malware" (viruses and such) has
  bigger and more fundamental worries:  By and large, you can be hit at
  all only by being really dumb.[link]  By and large, you can suffer
  system (root) compromise from malware only by being mind-bogglingly
  dumb.

--
Cheers,                 "Due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret to
Rick Moen               inform you that circumstances are beyond our control."