[sf-lug] [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] Kinds of Linux user

Andrew E andrewevansc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:12:57 PDT 2009

Answer 3: I believe that a large part of one's expertise in Linux is defined
by their ability to *bust out fatty shell scripts*. Therein lies the power
of Linux: being able to tell the computer exactly what to do, step by step.

Also, the advanced user knows where the f&*#$ everything is located, from
deep in the /etc to the far reaches of the various libs.

*Beginner*: knows ls,cd,cp,mv commands, hates using vi

*Intermediate*: learns grep and loves it, hates using vi

*advanced*: pipes commands, creates shell scripts and cron jobs (hmm... does
apache skills fit under linux skills?????), starts to like vi

*expert*: i'm not there yet, but they usually have cats