[sf-lug] [LINUX USER QUESTIONAIRE] How did you become a Linux user?

Edward Janne tigakub at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 14:17:37 PDT 2009

Wow! Thanks guys for your great responses! As far as my paper is
concerned, there are no wrong answers. All points of view are
valuable. No response is wrong, including those that question my
approach or motivations. It is really about trying to see things from
your subjective points of view and how they relate to group identity
(in so far as one can be said to exist).

I forgot to mention in the first post that I will not use your real
names, or post any personal information (beyond your responses to my
questions) in my paper unless you specifically give me permission to
do so. I will use names picked at random. If you would prefer I use
your real name or any other identifier, please let me know.

I also must mention that the point of this study is not for me to be
an aloof and disconnected observer, but to be a "participant-
observer". That basically means that I have to acknowledge to myself
that I cannot expect to be entirely impartial, and that by my very
presence in the group, I will affect group dynamic to some degree.
That's ok as long as I try my best to keep that to a minimum.

Here's the next question, but please continue to respond to the first
one if you like.

-edj

Question 2: How did you become a Linux user?