[sf-lug] Microsoft tax refunded by Amazon UK! Please pass it on!

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:11:12 PDT 2009

hi,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):
>
> > Rick, did Microsoft alter the EULA in response to the refund efforts?
>
> Not sure.  It turned out that there was a great deal of variation, from
> OEM to OEM and from country to country, in the EULA even at that time.
> There were rumours that they were dropping the "If you don't accept
> these terms, you may not use this software and must return it for
> refund" (paraphrased) language, but I keep seeing it referred to in new
> cases, so apparently not.

Refunds were ordered in Italy:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/07/10/27/1952257/Italian-Judge-Tells-HP-To-Refund-Pre-Installed-XP?art_pos=7

France:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/08/05/19/0154224/French-Judge-Orders-Refund-For-Pre-Installed-XP?art_pos=4

and Israel:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/08/12/03/1949230/Persistence-Pays-Off-With-Israels-First-Windows-Refund?art_pos=1

And the cool thing is that the most recent case of Alan Lord in the UK
didn't even involve the courts.  Amazon UK just paid up!