[sf-lug] BALUG: Tu 2009-07-21 Michael Paoli on Regular Expressions; + other news

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Jul 17 13:11:53 PDT 2009

BALUG: Tu 2009-07-21 Michael Paoli on Regular Expressions; + other news

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-07-21

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

For our 2009-07-21 BALUG meeting, we're excited to have Michael Paoli on
Regular Expressions[1]

Regular Expressions are a highly powerful tool for identifying strings
of text of interest (which may then be further manipulated, etc.)
Regular Expressions are present in a wide variety of
Linux/POSIX/SUS/UNIX/BSD tools, libraries, and languages, much - if not
most - of which is Open Source or for which Open Source versions exist.
Some examples include ed, grep, egrep, expr, vi, sed, awk, perl, C
(libraries), Apache, some shells, Java, JavaScript, Python, Ruby, and
many others.  In this talk, Michael Paoli will give a whirlwind
overview of Regular Expressions basics, some of the more advanced and
powerful capabilities, comparative overview of how Regular Expressions
differ in many of the various places they're implemented, and various
interesting bits along the way.

Mostly in the contexts of Linux/UNIX systems administration and utility
programming, Michael Paoli has been wrangling Regular Expressions for
well over 15 years, including perl regular expressions for about a
decade.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expressions

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

         rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they help ensure that we'll be
able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

         6:30pm
         Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 2009-07-21

         Four Seas Restaurant http://www.fourseasr.com/
         731 Grant Ave.
         San Francisco, CA 94108
         Easy PARKING:
         Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny http://www.sfpsg.com/

Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13

After meeting meeting (?)
Presuming enough folks want to after the main meeting, those interested
may gather at a nearby venue (e.g. pub) for further discussion on, e.g.:
o BALUG steering committee (talk about what BALUG wants/needs to do and
   possible changes, etc.)
o stuff one can do to help BALUG
o ideas for possible future talks/presentations (got contacts/leads?)
o random Linux, etc. topics
o yet more regular expression stuff
o random networking
o insert your topic here :-)

miscellaneous note for those paying really close attention - if you
earlier heard about or were expecting a "working in the business" type
panel discussion that was earlier mentioned for 2009-07-21, that will
likely get rescheduled for some future date (encountered too many folks
on vacation or otherwise unavailable, and insufficient lead time for
2009-07-21 to make a viable date for the panel discussion).

Additional upcoming BALUG meetings:

2009-08-18 (spearker/presentation to be determined/confirmed)

2009-09-15 Christian Einfeld on: Help yourself by helping the
            underdog... public schools. (Linux, Open Source, ...)

Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org

http://www.balug.org/