[sf-lug] NEXT WEEK: PenLUG meeting 07/23/2009

bill at wards.net bill at wards.net
Thu Jul 16 12:00:05 PDT 2009

PENINSULA LINUX USERS' GROUP (PenLUG) PRESENTS:

   |Date:    |Thursday, July 23, 2009                                    |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |Time:    |6:00 - 8:00 PM                                             |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |         |Bayshore Technology Park                                   |
   |Location:|1300 Island Drive                                          |
   |         |Redwood City, CA 94065                                     |
   |         |Suite 106 - Training Room                                  |
   |---------+-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |RSVP:    |Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=95531483001|
   |         |or mail rsvp at penlug.org                                    |

   Agenda:

     * 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM Electronics Recycling by ACCRC
     * 6:00 PM Free pizza arrives
     * 6:15 PM Free book giveaways or other prizes
     * 6:30 PM Presentation begins
     * 8:00 PM Meeting ends

  Electronics Recycling by ACCRC

   Peninsula Linux Users' Group, Qualys, Harvest Properties, and Alameda
   County Computer Resource Center present an electronics waste collection
   event. ACCRC is a nonprofit computer recycler with a heart. For example,
   they provide refurbished computers running Linux to schools in
   impoverished areas.

   ACCRC will accept: Small household appliances, UPS Batteries, Telephones,
   TV's, Computers, Fax Machines
   ACCRC will NOT accept: Washer machines, Dryers, Stoves, Refrigerators,
   Freezers, Batteries, Liquids, Air Conditioners
   Note: They particularly want old CRT monitors and TV's, because the
   California State subsidy for recycling those is a major income stream for
   ACCRC.

   The ACCRC truck (probably a yellow Penske rental truck) will be in the
   parking lot at 1300 Island Drive from 3-6pm. There is a separate Facebook
   event for the recycling: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=94436229132

  Kyle Rankin, Where'd my Files Go? - A Guide to the Modern Ubuntu Distribution

   While you might not be able to tell at a cursory glance, much has changed
   behind the scenes on a modern Ubuntu system, from what you might be used
   to if you have used Linux for years. For example, did you know Ubuntu is
   phasing out the System V init? That you can't loopback-mount the initrd?
   In this talk, Kyle will discuss the current changes Ubuntu is making to
   what we might consider the traditional Linux system. There's a little
   something for everyone on the talk: For Linux newcomers who are curious
   about what's under the hood, Kyle will cover the traditional and modern
   boot process, including how init works, and follow up with a guide to
   where important files are in Ubuntu. For the experienced Linux user, Kyle
   will show you how (and why) things have changed, and where you can look
   now when you want to, for instance, change the default runlevel on an
   Ubuntu system.

  Kyle Rankin

   Kyle Rankin is a systems architect for Quinstreet, Inc., the current
   president of the North Bay Linux Users Group, the author of Knoppix Hacks,
   Knoppix Pocket Reference, Linux Multimedia Hacks, and Ubuntu Hacks, and
   has contributed to a number of other O'Reilly books. Kyle is also a
   columnist for Linux Journal, and has had articles featured in PC Magazine,
   TechTarget, and other publications.

   Kyle has spoken at PenLUG several times before:

     * December 9, 2004: Introduction to Knoppix
     * January 26, 2006: DVD Authoring with Linux (Video)
     * March 22, 2007: MPlayer

RSVP

  Although it is not required, we like to have an idea of how many
  people to expect, so if possible please email rsvp at penlug.org if you
  are planning to attend.

GETTING THERE

  For information on getting to the meeting, please see:
      http://maps.google.com/maps?q=1300+Island+Drive,+Redwood+City,+CA
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/DrivingDirectionsQualys
      http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/TransitDirectionsQualys

  Traffic on 101 can be pretty bad in the evening, so we encourage you
  to check traffic conditions before driving by dialing 5-1-1 on your
  phone or visiting www.511.org, and if possible to take public transit
  (best bet: bicycle via Caltrain) or carpool to this meeting.

MORE INFORMATION

  See www.penlug.org for more information.

This notice is being sent to the following mailing lists:
	members at penlug.org
	announce at penlug.org
	sf-lug at linuxmafia.com
	balug-talk at lists.balug.org
	svlug at lists.svlug.org
	svevents at yahoogroups.com
	vox at lists.lugod.org

  Please reply to suggest any additions or other changes.