[sf-lug] Books for kids about programming

jim jim at well.com
Tue Jul 14 10:44:12 PDT 2009

   There's also Al Sweigart's "Invent Your Own
Computer Games with Python":

   Here's a link with a blurb from the author:
http://groups.google.com/group/freecomputerbooks/web/invent-your-own-computer-games-with-python-2008-albert-sweigart

   Here's a link that presents downloads for this
and other Python-oriented computer "books":
http://freecomputerbooks.com/langPythonBooks.html

   The XO laptop (One Laptop Per Child) has a
Python programming activity:
http://www.laptop.org/en/

   Seems to me your idea to write something that
introduces programming to children is still a
good idea. The "something" may or may not be a
book, per se. I think an interactive game could
be good: something that starts simple and, as it
builds, presents exercises that are "pythonic",
an important concept that, seems to me, is
largely missing in Python books and other
material.

   (In my view, "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist:
Learning with Python" is frustratingly incomplete
in its mission.)