[sf-lug] how to use fdisk to repartition a 1TB USB hard drive? (jim) [sf-lug Digest, Vol 41, Issue 8]

jim jim at well.com
Mon Jun 15 08:10:51 PDT 2009

   "some such" is a place holder for my bad memory:
i forget the exact words of the error message.
   the system originally reported the device as
/dev/sdb6, and using  fdisk /dev/sdb  did bring up
something credible: a complaint about the invalidity
of the partition table, which showed four partitions
with complaints.
   i deleted the four partitions and made a new one
of 100 GB, wrote it, and rebooted.
   voila:  fdisk -l  reported /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1
and i used  mke2fs -j  to make an ext3 filesystem
and rebooted.
   voila: right-click the GUI icon and choose volume
and see rw ... ext3 but use  fdisk -l  and see
/dev/sdb1 as vfat. _not only_, but both GUI and fdisk
report /dev/sdb1 as 1TB (approximately), tho' i'd
used  fdisk  to make a 100GB partition.
   i copied some files and rebooted, and there are
the files. the  ls -lai  command reports inode
numbers, so it looks like ext3 and i'm guessing
ext3 is somehow sitting on vfat, tho' i'm not taking
my guesswork seriously.
   i took up the strategy "screw it" and used
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1
and got the error message i've badly reported as
"some such".
   files are still there, drive is still variously
seen as 1TB vfat or ext3, and  ls -i  reports inode
numbers.

   i'm hoping for another bit of feedback as to what
i might be able to do, then i'll make a decision as
to returning the thing (minus files and hopefully as
vfat) or voiding the warrantee.