[sf-lug] display totally effed

chadwick crawford testpattern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:23:51 PDT 2009

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on an HP pavillion dv2000 laptop.  I upgraded my
seahorse, because there seemed to be some problems stemming from bad
configuration there.  And afterword, I was given some popup request to
upgrade my desktop.  Like the half-blind fool I am, I said "OK, do that."
And then everything went south.  First it went into low graphics mode.  I
tried to select the proper resolution on the laptop screen I thought was
mine.  It wouldn't allow me to set it at anything greater than 800 by 640,
although my desktop wallpaper seemed to be at the correct resolution.  No
amount of wrasslin'  with display options seemed to have any effect.  This
was okay; I went through it when I first installed Ubuntu.  I figured it
out, somehow.  So I restarted.

And now, folks, everything is *really* cattywumpus.  It seemed like
everything was normal at first, and then the login screen came in.  Split
into 4 columns.  I logged in, and yes, it continued.  My desktop is repeated
in four illegible columns across my monitor.  I think that I can get to my
Administration menu, but I can't read anything that it says.

It seems to me most likely that my display is set in such a way that my
graphics card doesn't know what to do with it.  Is there anyway to fix this
from a live cd?  Can anyone help a poor wayward idiot?

chadwick

--
"There is no rest for the humble except in despising the great, whose only
thought of the people is inspired by self-interest or sadism."

--Louis-Ferdinand Céline,
 Journey to the End of the Night