[sf-lug] Strange /digest/ behavior

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 7 18:21:32 PDT 2009

Quoting Elkhorn (the_elkhorn at yahoo.com):

> Hi -
>
> I'm signed up (and have been since day 1) for the Linux user's group as  /digest/ recipient. So why is it that I get between 1 and 6 "digest" e-mails a day?

First of all, thank you for posting to this mailing list on some other
topic besides Microsoft Windows malware.

I'm not a listadmin for SF-LUG (that would be Jim Stockford and LX
Rudis), and non-listadmins _normally_ would not be able to answer your
question -- but I happen to own/operate the server that hosts this
mailing list, so I can peer over the listadmins' shoulders, i.e., check
how the software is configured.

GNU Mailman has the following settings (among others) for this list:

  How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out?  30

  Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't
  reached?  yes

Those are, FYI, the default settings.

So, it's probably a matter of people doing strange things like posting
in HTML and so-called "top posting" (quoting the entire preceding thread
and putting the reply on top).  A quick check of the archives confirms
this.

Jim Stockford and LX Rudis could adjust the kB figure upwards or disable
automatic posting of <30kB digests at least once a day -- it's entirely
up to them -- but then run the risk that someone would complain about
that, too.

--
Cheers,              Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers
Rick Moen            Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;