[sf-lug] Lists: plain text only please :-) [ugh: ("An HTML attachment was scrubbed...")]

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 26 05:30:41 PDT 2009

Lists: plain text only please :-) [ugh: ("An HTML attachment was
scrubbed...")]

Folks, please, ... it's generally much better for lists to just send
plain text - i.e. don't do, e.g., multipart alternative where both plain
text and HTML are sent - adds little value if any (and likely subtracts
some) to the list, adds annoying bits to the list, and takes up more
space on the listservers.  Some/many email clients (e.g. Microsoft
Outlook) may do so by default - one should almost always turn that
behavior off and just send plain text when sending to (or Ccing) lists
(ditto for Usenet).

How does one know if one's doing this?  Well, if the list postings (such
as in the archives and digest forms) have stuff that looks of a form like: