[sf-lug] Rick Moen quoted in article re building LUGs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 10 15:27:35 PDT 2009

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at gmail.com):

> If Linux is able to take market share from Microsoft, it will largely be due
> to the persistence of social gatherings, such as LUGs like this one and Rick
> Moen barbeques.  LOL.

Hey, if it weren't for barbecuing and free parking, what would the
suburbs be good for, anyway?

LUGs would have a much better time in the USA if we had the same social
institution of pubs that the UK and Eire have.  Unfortunately, dumb
liquor laws mean that otherwise fine places to meet in the back rooms of
pubs are off-limits to attendees under age 21.[1]  Some Linux groups
have tried to hold events in brewpubs (e.g., Bay Area Debian's meeting
at the Dutch Goose, just downhill from my house), only to hear
(understandable) complaints from underage members.

The closest USA analogue -- as long as we're still stuck in a Volstead
Act mentality -- is pizza parlours and similar restaurants with
available back rooms.  ObSF-LUG:  For example, there's a Round Table on
Geary Blvd. at 16th Avenue with a large upstairs room.

[1] Well, with some exceptions such as Louisiana.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state
to fully appreciate how wacked the states' laws are on this point.