[sf-lug] balug.org DNS (was: sf-lug.com web site accessibility)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 2 12:47:16 PST 2009

I wrote:

> As an additional exercise, I'll now show you how I might check out
> whether balug.org DNS is OK.  This is something _anyone_ can do,
> even MS-Windows sufferers.  (There's a free-of-charge download of
> "whois" and "dig" programs in MS-Windows executable format on the Web.)

Never say I don't love y'all, even those of you using MS-Windows willingly:
http://members.shaw.ca/nicholas.fong/dig/

Provides:  dig.exe, host.exe, whois.exe, sha1.exe, and support libs.

Reasons why you should use "dig" (or "host") rather than nslookup, even
on MS-Windows where people keep mindlessly using the provided
nslookup.exe utility out of habit, even though according to my calender
it's not 2000 any more:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/nslookup-flaws.html
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/nslookup.html

(On Linux, one doesn't even have the bad excuse of needing to fetch
non-default tools.)