[sf-lug] The Xubntu lab teaches kids to "appreciate and give back"

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:59:12 PST 2009

hi,

There are lots and lots of people on this list who have contributed to the
public middle school project in the Western Addition, so I thought that you
might be pleased to see some video by one of the teachers there talking
about how the Xubuntu lab is helping the kids.

http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv593_elmer_rivera_a_2009_feb_001.ogg

In particular, in this segment beginning at about 2:32, the teacher talks
about how the lab itself is being used as a pedagogic device to teach the
kids how to appreciate and give back to their community.  One of the really
great things about this public middle school is the emphasis that the
teachers and staff place on good behavior and civic mindedness.  It reminds
me what is best about the Free Open Source Software community; namely, our
emphasis on striving to produce quality software that will be of broad
benefit to society as a whole.

http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv593_elmer_rivera_b_2009_feb_001.ogg

So I am offering these two videos as a way of saying thank you on behalf of
the teachers, staff and students to all of you who have given so much to the
project.

c u