[sf-lug] [PYCLASS] Mon Feb 23 6:30 PM: Chapter 14

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Feb 22 16:37:41 PST 2009

(Thanks to the new folks who joined a few weeks ago; it's great to have
new people around!)

WHERE: Noisebridge (83C Weise St, near 16th & Mission BART)
<http://noisebridge.net>
WHEN:  Mon Feb 23 6:30 PM
WHAT:  Community Python learning session: Chapter 14

TEXTBOOK INFO: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.html
TEXTBOOK CHAP: http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/book015.html

This week, we look at FILES! You can read data from them, and you can even
write to them. WOW!

We also learn about exceptions, somewhat-efficient databases, pipes, and
pickling. Pickling and pipes are two of my favorite things.

Exercise 7.3 in the chapter is fairly difficult, be warned! But the
solution is very interesting.

IF YOU ARE NEW

Remember that the point of the class is to help you answer questions you
have. To that end, *read Chapter 14* so that you can make sense of the
general class discussion.

In addition, work forward in the text starting with chapter 1. I *urge*
you to send me your exercises for any chapters; I can provide good
feedback. Focus on the exercises for Chapter 14 so that we can have a
coherent conversation in class, and feel free to ask me questions about
earlier material.

WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT?

A bunch of SF-LUG people have been learning an introduction to
programming, and I've been facilitating.  My expectation is to have a fun
conversation with people who have mostly read the chapter, and some of
whom (hopefully all!) have done the chapter's exercises.

WHAT'S THE LOCATION?

Noisebridge is a "hacker space" where people gather to discuss technology
and art or build things.  It's a member-supported non-profit, and I think
you'll think it's pretty cool.  Read https://www.noisebridge.net/.

KEEP TALKING

I invite you to email me your answers to the exercises, or to discuss on the
sf-lug list (since that's where this all started).

See some of you there!

-- Asheesh.

--
You single-handedly fought your way into this hopeless mess.