[sf-lug] Requesting volunteer lead for the Tenderloin tech day

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:09:44 PST 2009

hi,

I would like to ask if there is anyone on the list who would like to take on
the role of interfacing with the St. Anthony's Tenderloin Tech Day.  This
event is held only about 3 x per year.  Tasks involved include the
following:

1. Set up 4 Linux machines the afternoon before the event.  The event is
held on Saturdays from 9 am to 3 pm.  The set up happens from about 2 pm to
4 pm the day before.  Set up must be finished by 4:30 the day before, as the
staff leaves the building promptly at 5 pm and they need shut down time of
30 mins before the end of the day.

2. Participation in about 4 conference calls per year, each lasting about 45
mins to discuss the nitty gritty of the set-up.

3. Attending the event 3x per year, at which you will be fed.

4. Posting about 6 notices per year to this list to inform people of the
event and to ask for volunteers.

St. Anthony's is one of the premier charities in San Francisco, and this
event does a great job of introducing Linux to a community of impoverished
people who really need the help.  Here is a video showing what was
accomplished with the first Tenderloin Tech day.  Notice the prominent
placement of Ubuntu logos and the extensive discussion of Ubuntu given
throughout the video.  This was a hugely successful outreach:

http://news.cnet.com/Tenderloin-Tech-Day/1606-2_3-6223419.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

The reason that I am asking to be replaced as the lead is that we have done
most of the hard work already.  We have gotten the machines stored on site
at St. Anthony.  There is very little hauling to be done (bringing the
machines up from the basement is all, and you will get help with that).
There is very little outreach to be done -- St. Anthonys now sees the value
in having a Linux presence.  All we really need is someone to interact with
the organizers and post notices to this list.

Thanks either way for considering my request.

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point