[sf-lug] the real free software...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Feb 10 10:49:07 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a great link, Sameer!
>
> Last year, I spoke to the LUG on the campus of Oregon State University and
> the LUG meeting was in the room across from one of these Microsoft, ahem,
> "events. He came over to the lobby before the meeting to where some of us
> were gathered to say how much he "loved Linux," so I challenged the guy to a
> debate in the LUG meeting, but he said he couldn't do that.

Not sanctioned by "the man" perhaps? ;-)

> Anyway, the LUG meeting did barely outdraw the Microsoft meeting. Must have
> been the pizza at ours (although we weren't giving away any software -- the
> grand prize at OSU incidentally was a copy of Rock Star (?), if that's what
> that game is called).

There's something interesting about the thinking behind raffling off
stuff. The players think "I'm exclusive", or "I won something!" as
opposed to "Its free and available all the time...like dirt. Who wants
dirt?"

It would be interesting to actually raffle off boxed copies of the
OpenDisc (CD, case, and all) and see how that goes...

Time to go spend some of that California State taxpayers' money :-)

cheers,
Sameer