[sf-lug] Whitfield Diffie to speak at SF State...

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Feb 2 15:52:39 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 01:39:16PM -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:
> FYI: From the SFSU Computer Science Graduate Seminar series. This is
> open to non-SFSU folks as well.

Wow.  I met Dr. Diffie for a few moments at the birthday party of
one of my professors this past weekend.

Now, this is a small world, because Diffie's name is not one I knew
off the top of my head, and suddenly I'm hearing/seeing it twice in
3 days.

Let's take this a bit further.  The birthday party of my professor
was held over in Novato at his daughter's.  Novato was my home town.
Of all the houses in Novato, this party JUST happened to be in the
house that one of my best friends from high school[*] grew up in.

15 years ago, I would not have believed you if you said
"Bill, 10 years after graduating from college, you will attend
your CS professor's birthday party in this house."

Worse yet, after returning from Novato, I swung by Burgers & Brew
in Davis to pick up a late dinner for my wife.  As I sit there
waiting for my order, one of my Davis friends walks up.
She had ALSO just returned from Davis and was ALSO picking up
an order for HER significant other.

Anyone ever see that episode of Star Trek TNG where Dr. Crusher
was stuck in a collapsing universe bubble? :)  I'm getting that
same feeling this week. ;)

-bill!
[*] Best friend, as in: She and her wife performed
    my wedding ceremony :)