[sf-lug] ISPs that are good for Linux

Thomas DiZoglio tomdiz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 11:05:47 PST 2009

You should also mention that comcast will put baudwidth limiters on bittorrent connections and kill large downloads (i.e. > 1GB may die in middle of download). also, mention that you do not have a single line connection like DSL gives you. You share what is basically a LAN between you and the people in your neighborhood. So if you run a tcpdump you can see your neighbors data. This is also something to take into account. If someone in your neighborhood is taking a lot of bandwidth it effects your bandwidth and this isn't the same for a DSL connection. Basic DSL is 1MBit for $25 a month. You can get 6Mbit for $60 a month and $15Mbit for $100 and it is your own connection. No sharing with your neighbors. I think you should mention this. Cable is a lot easier to hack than a DSL connection if our neighbors want too.

Essentially, it all depends on your usage and what you are willing to pay for. Cable works for a lot of people. Think about what your needs are then create a list of them and ask people based on your needs and cares.
t0md