[sf-lug] Phenom II Mobo Store Trek Jan 31 Sat 11A-3P ? -jor

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Mon Jan 26 00:10:16 PST 2009

AMD's Phenom II seems to be the value price leading current generation
processor.  Much better value system than Intel's cur gen proc I7: Very
significantly lower priced comparable mobos, & uses better value DDR2,
not DDR3.

Anyone here have a Phenom II yet?  What mobo do you recommend for a good
value system?

I'm considering going on a short 3 store motherboard investigation on
Jan 31:
11A-   12N    Frys - Fremont,
12:30P-1:30P  MicroCenter - SantaClara,
2P-    3P     CentralComputer - SanJose

Then maybe back to the store with the best values.  I'm thinking I'll
see what recommendations, & the best value offerings, the stores make.
Which stores will price match the best online values?

Anyone care to come along?  We'll discuss, compare & contrast.

==  PHENOM II -  SYSTEM, RECOMMENDATIONS?
Looking for the best mobo for 64bit desktop GNU(Linux)/BSD use.

I'm thinking something with 8-16GB RAM (800MHz? 1000?), and can handle a
4870x2.  Maybe Crossfire capable.  Onboard video, preferable ATI?  What
power supply?

==  BEST VALUE, PRICES
$180 AMD Phenom II X4 2.8GHz Quad-Core Socket AM2+ CPU
http://dealnews.com/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-2-8-GHz-Quad-Core-Socket-AM2-CPU-for-180-free-shipping-more/274840.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=903114-2-0-ARTICLE-0&Item=N82E16819103472&nm_mc=AFC-DealNews&cm_mmc=AFC-DealNews-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA

($245 after rebate) $255 AMD Phenom II X4 2.8GHz Quad-Core CPU, mobo
(Biostar TForce AMD 790GX) + free shipping
http://dealnews.com/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-2-8-GHz-Quad-Core-CPU-mobo-for-245-after-rebate-free-shipping/275624.html
Biostar TForce AMD 790GX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128

==  REVIEWS & COMPARISONS & RECOMMENDATIONS
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor - Performance tests and comparison with
rivals.
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/amd-phenom-2-x4-940-p1.html

DDR2-800 vs. DDR3-1333.- Does DDR3-1333 Make Sense?
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles3/cpu/ddr2-800-vs-ddr3-1333.html

TA790GX XE 5.x
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/memory_report.php?S_ID=375