[sf-lug] BALUG: Tu 2009-01-20 Kyle Rankin on Where'd my files go?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 15 00:47:59 PST 2009

BALUG: Tu 2009-01-20 Kyle Rankin on Where'd my files go?

Bay Area Linux User Group (BALUG)
Tuesday 6:30 P.M. 2009-01-20
Kyle Rankin[1] on "Where'd my Files Go? - A guide to the Modern Ubuntu
Distribution"

Please RSVP if you're planning to come (see further below).

While you might not be able to tell at a cursory glance, a lot has
changed behind the scenes on a modern Ubuntu system from what you
might be used to if you have used Linux for years. For example,
did you know Ubuntu is phasing out System V init? That you can't
loopback-mount the initrd? In this talk Kyle will discuss the
current changes Ubuntu is making to what we might consider the
traditional Linux system. There's a little something for everyone
on the talk: For Linux newbies who are curious about what's under
the hood Kyle will cover the traditional and modern boot process
including how init works and follow up with a guide to where
important files are in Ubuntu. For the experienced Linux user Kyle
will show you how (and why) things have changed and where you can
look now when you want to, for instance, change the default
runlevel on an Ubuntu system.

Kyle Rankin is a systems architect for Quinstreet, Inc.[2], the
current president of the North Bay Linux Users Group[3], the
author of Knoppix Hacks,[4] Knoppix Pocket Reference[5],
Linux Multimedia Hacks[6], and Ubuntu Hacks[7] and has
contributed to a number of other O'Reilly[8] books. Kyle is also
a columnist for Linux Journal[9] and has had articles featured in
PC Magazine[10], TechTarget[11] and other publications.

So, if you'd like to join us please RSVP:

    rsvp at balug.org

**Why RSVP??**

Well, don't worry we won't turn you away, but the RSVPs really help the
Four Seas Restaurant plan the meal and they ensure that we're able to eat
upstairs in the private banquet room.

Meeting Details...

    6:30pm
    Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 2009-01-20

    Four Seas Restaurant
    731 Grant Ave.
    San Francisco, CA 94108
    Easy $5 PARKING:  Portsmouth Square Garage at 733 Kearny

Cost: The meetings are always free, but dinner is $13

references/footnotes:
  1. http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/1849
  2. http://www.quinstreet.com/
  3. http://www.nblug.org/
  4. http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596007874/
  5. http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596100759/
  6. http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596100766/
  7. http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527204/
  8. http://oreilly.com/
  9. http://www.linuxjournal.com/
10. http://www.pcmag.com/
11. http://www.techtarget.com/

http://www.balug.org/
Contacting BALUG: http://www.new.balug.org/#Contact
Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org