[sf-lug] Ex 11.7 Exponentiation (understandable) & RSA algorithm (not so!)

jim jim at well.com
Mon Jan 12 10:13:21 PST 2009

   i'm sorry too: i still don't get it. for their
example:
3 * x = 1 (mod 11)
their solution is 4.

   i read this as x = 4, and therefore
3 * 4 = 1 (mod 11)

   assuming i'm reading correctly, the mystery is
how to understand 1(mod 11) == 12
   i read 1(mod 11) as 1%11 == the remainder after
11 is divided into 1: integer arithmetic 1/11 == 0
and 1%11 yields 1.

   if my assumption is incorrect, then the mystery is
3 * x = 1(mod 11)