[sf-lug] how to whack crackers

jim jim at well.com
Mon Jan 5 16:07:20 PST 2009

   i've taken "joe account" to mean accounts with
easy-to-guess user names, regardless of password,
for given a valid user name, one (who's so inclined)
can run some barrage of passwords and maybe get
lucky). not the real definition, perhaps misguided,
all comments are welcome.

> I therefore
> concentrate my effort on making sure attacks cannot
> _succeed_, instead of trying to surround my machine
> with a magic moat.

aha! truly enlightening, and a bright light at that.