[sf-lug] how to whack crackers

jim jim at well.com
Mon Jan 5 16:00:46 PST 2009

   rick! i've been thinking of you rather a lot lately.
thanks for your reply. briefly:

   we took the box out and put a new, well--different,
one in and rebuilt with ubuntu server 8.10. as The
Cracked Box was ubuntu server 7.10 and we'd only
started putting things on it, i didn't bother to
reclaim data. and anyway, doing it from scratch will
be good practice and won't have some of the stupid
stuff we'd had on The Cracked Box.
   no, the cracker did not get root access (not that
it matters, as the box and all its files is sitting
"over there" in the corner).

   i made sure there are no well-known user accounts
on The New Box and that as many as possible (e.g.
daemon accounts) have /bin/false or some such.
   (i did make a user account that has /usr/bin/yes
as its "shell", and that works great! the screen of
the person logging in as that user gets repeated
lines with the 'y' character on it until they hit
CTL-C or some such. "fixed the vulnerability" ==
removed The Cracked Box and ensured there are no
similar accounts on The New Box.)

   i cannot figure out a good backup scheme. the one
that copies absolutely everything from certain
directories each night is inelegant.

   we recognize that the growing /var/log/auth.log file
represents doorknob tests, it's unnerving, possibly
educational. and the big number of iptables rules seems
to have no effect: maybe we've learned that lesson, too.

   there's nothing much that's worth defending other than
the use of the box itself, but that's worth defending.
   i've manually gone over many filesystems on many boxes
over the last years looking for directories with funny
names beginning with the '.' character and perhaps one
or more whitespace characters. it's a tedious job but
kind of suits me at times.
   there are only three humans that may log into the box,
so password enforcement, for now, can be verbal abuse
and stern reminders. i'll have to get pam's cracklib
working.

   the only threat model that i can make out is that some
cracker gets through the sshd door and does something:
* puts on a root kit
* puts in tools that support a bot net
* other (can't think of what)
   we will have a web server running, and i'm sure i'll
have lots of new lessons to learn with that. got any httpd
threat models? (all threat model news is welcome.)

   i will re-read and re-re-read your email and likely
have questions.
many thanks,
jim