[sf-lug] how to read root's email?

jim jim at well.com
Mon Dec 29 16:47:48 PST 2008

   consider using a monitoring tool such as nagios
or osiris or phpadmin or some such.
   seems no one will ever get around to reading
/var/log/messages before there's a problem, and
some argument they shouldn't (why scan blindly?).
   can you use the mail client on your local
systems to send mail to "out there"? if so, maybe
set up a cron job to check root's mail and chown it
or copy its contents and mail it to you?
   rick's response seems worth chewing: what is
your objection to running sendmail? okay to use
sendmail as a normal process rather than a daemon?
okay to use postfix or exim rather than sendmail,
and if so, why? would be interesting to know your
answers.