[sf-lug] Free software talk

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 19 13:38:18 PST 2008

Quoting Steve M Bibayoff (bibayoff at gmail.com):

> I'm somewhat murky on the details/implementation, but I believe the
> Mozilla Foundation did start a for profit subsidiary company, the
> Mozilla Corporation, to be in charge of developing Firefox, etc. More
> info here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/reorganization/

Yes, thanks for clarifying.  Actually, I just remembered that a friend
of mine has recently gone to work for them.  Now, that would be a really
cool company to work for, if only because Mitchell Baker is said to be
Board of Directors chair, and she's brilliant.  (The firm sure doesn't
toot its horn, much.  There isn't even an ego page for operating
management; in fact, I can't even find CEO John Lilly credited on the
site for his job at all.)

I'm guessing their business model owes mostly to business partnerships:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/about/partnerships.html  Also, Web search
agreements:
http://www.calacanis.com/2006/03/06/firefox-mozilla-corporation-mozilla-foundation-made-72m-last/