[sf-lug] Obama's change.gov now using Creative Commons

toya toya at linefeed.org
Fri Dec 12 18:13:02 PST 2008

funny, I worked for the president of Brasil, at the department
of IT for the Planalto Palace (our 'whitehouse')..
I was part of a team build to work with the it department on the
migration process to free software...
So one of the thing we did was to invite the OpenOffice project -
the brazillian communtiy (BrOffice) - to make a presentation about
open formats and licenses etc.

The debat between the IT workers and the BrOffice community was
very interesing. The community raised questions about security,
even constitution rights was put on the table. For instance they
said - at the time - the president agenda was updated and avaliable
for download on the president site every day to the citzens. But
the format of the file was a .doc, since the Ministry of Justice
has a very strong agenda against pirate softwares, they were forcing
the citzens to buy a proprietary software  for over 3 times the
ammount of a minimal salary in Brazil. This goes against the
constitution. Since any 'public information' should be accessible
without any fees by the citzens. The workers agreed with it and
not only that but the fact that all the government documents were
also a hostage of foreign companies.

And tha nation would always depend on them to be able to access
those documents and so on.

I believe a lot of this has to do with the Brazil government
support of ODF.

Toya