[sf-lug] superhappy devhouse 29 on sunday, noon to 9 PM

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 12 11:13:23 PST 2008

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> I disagree.  Although contrary to general useage, to my mind 12am is
> noon and 12pm is midnight.

It does seem that way until you consider what "AM" and "PM" _actually mean_
-- and until you consider that other people might easily assume intended
meanings opposite of the ones you've made in your mind (a point you
yourself make when you say "contrary to general usage").

So, as Larry says, minimum ambiguity results by using some variant on
"noon" and "midnight".  (I like "12n" and "12m" for short.)

> Taking this a bit further:
> 00:00am

Logically, no such time can exist.  (Again, consider what "AM"
_actually means_.)  Your speaking of "00:00am" is, basically, an
artifact of digital clock usage.