[sf-lug] init, upstart, and all that jazz

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Dec 6 21:50:06 PST 2008

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Michael Paoli wrote:

> SysV type init/rc is rather commonly used among Unix etc., but it's not
> the only way.  The relatively classic SysV initialization has as one key
> drawback, that it doesn't deal particularly well with quite long running
> startup tasks ... but not only is that generally dealt with fairly
> easily via backgrounding, but many Unix etc. flavors have extended their
> initialization setup a bit so such is easily dealt with in a quite
> "standard" (at least within a flavor/version) way (such as HP-UX has
> done).

Or you can go totally cuckoo-bananas and throw out everything you've ever
known and end up with the Sun Service Manager.

If you end up there, you'll have the cool advantage of when services go
down, getting a link to a web page with more information on the reason
why.

(I know I'm a bit late to this conversation.  Also, I'm not saying Sun
Service Manager is good or bad, just that from what I recall of it, it's
rather orthogonal to SysV-type init/rc.)

-- Asheesh.

--
Q:	What's the difference betweeen USL and the Graf Zeppelin?
A:	The Graf Zeppelin represented cutting edge technology for its time.